h-index=25 Google Scholar
- Assembling Bacterial Cyborg Cells: Production of living cell-material hybrids using intracellular hydrogelation
O. Baghdasaryan, L. Contreras-Llano, S. Khan, Jack Hu, and C. Tan
Nature Protocols, in revision, pdf
- Wielding extracellular vesicle heterogeneity – a double-edged nano-sword
R. Carney, R. Mizenko, B. Bozkurt, T. Henson, A. Arizzi, A. Wang, C. Tan, S. George
- Active-learning guided and high-throughput synthesis of membrane proteins
C. Meyer, A. Arizzi, T. Henson, S. Aviran, M. Longo, C. Tan,
- Special Issue – Synthetic Biology for Biosensing in Health and Environmental Applications
B. Wang and C. Tan
Biosensors, 2023, pdf
- Synthetic Control of Living Cells by Intracellular Polymerization
O. Baghdasaryan, S. Khan, J. Lin, J. Lee-Kin, C. Hsu. C. Jack Hu, C. Tan
Trends in Biotech, 2023, pdf
- Engineering Cyborg Bacteria Through Intracellular Hydrogelation.
L. Contreras‐Llano, Y. Liu, T. Henson, C. Meyer, O. Baghdasaryan, S. Khan, C. Lin, A. Wang, C. Hu, C. Tan
Advanced Science, 2023, pdf
- Frequency dependent growth of bacteria in living materials.
DD. Lewis#, T. Gong#, Y. Xu, C. Tan
Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 2022, pdf
- The engineering of a microfluidic printing robot for protein network reconstitution.
C. Zhou#, J. Shim#, Z. Fang, C. Meyer, T. Gong, M. Wong, C. Tan*, T. Pan*
ACS Analytical Chemistry, 2022, pdf
- High throughput experimentation using cell-free protein synthesis systems.
C. Meyer, C. Zhou, Z. Fang, ML. Longo, T. Pan, C. Tan
Cell-Free Gene Expression, 2022, pdf
- Analysis of the innovation trend in cell-free synthetic biology.
C. Meyer, Y. Nakamura, BJ. Rasor, AS. Karim, MC. Jewett, C. Tan
Life, 2021, pdf
- Building protein networks in synthetic systems from the bottom-up
J. Shim#, C. Zhou#, T. Gong#, DA. Iserlis, HA. Linjawi, M. Wong, T. Pan*, C. Tan
Biotechnology Advances, 2021, pdf
- Stochastic ordering of complexoform protein assembly by genetic circuits.
M. Jensen, E. Morris, H. Tran, M. Nash, and C. Tan
PLoS Comp. Bio., 2020, pdf
- Holistic engineering of cell-free systems through proteome-reprogramming synthetic circuits
LE. Contreras-Llano, C. Meyer, Y. Liu, M. Sarker, S. Lim, ML. Longo, C. Tan
Nature Communications, 2020, pdf
- Orthogonal tuning of gene expression noise using CRISPR-Cas.
F. Wu#, J. Shim#, T. Gong, C. Tan
Nucleic Acids Research, 2020, pdf
- Microfluidic cap-to-dispense (μCD): a universal microfluidic–robotic interface for automated pipette-free high-precision liquid handling.
J. Wang, K. Deng, C. Zhou, Z. Fang, C. Meyer, KU. Deshpande, Z. Li, X. Mi, Q. Luo, BD. Hammock, C. Tan*, Y. Chen*, and T. Pan* (*co-corresponding author)
Lab on a Chip, 2019, pdf
- A Biosensing Soft Robot: Integrating Chemical and Optical Responsive Synthetic Cells with Soft Robotics.
K. Justus, T. Hellebrekers, D. Lewis, A. Wood, C. Ingham, C. Majidi, P. LeDuc, and C. Tan
Science Robotics, 2019, pdf
- Dead bacterial absorption of an antimicrobial peptides underlies collective tolerance.
F. Wu and C. Tan
Journal of Royal Society Interface, 2019, pdf
- Minimizing context-dependency of gene networks using artificial cells.
Y. Ding, LE. Contreras-Llano, E. Morris, M. Mao, C. Tan
ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces pdf
- Engineered stochastic adhesion between microbes as a protection mechanism against environmental stress.
D. Lewis, R. Vanella, C. vo, L. Rose, M. Nash, and C. Tan
Cellular and Biomolecular Engineering – Special Issue for Young Innovator Award pdf
- High-throughput screening of biomolecules using cell-free gene expression systems.
LE. Contreras-Llano, and C. Tan
Oxford University Press Synthetic Biology pdf
- Dotette: Programmable, high-precision, plug-and-play droplet pipetting.
J. Fan, Y. Men, K. Tseng, Y. Ding, Y. Ding, F. Villarreal, C. Tan, B. Li, and T. Pan
AIP Biomicrofluidics pdf
- Engineering approaches of smart, bio-inspired vesicles for biomedical applications.
T. Abraham, M. Mao, and C. Tan
Physical Biology pdf
- News and Views: Aroma-triggered pain relief
D. Lewis and C. Tan
Nature Biomedical Engineering, 2018 pdf
- Reconfigurable Analog Signal Processing by Living Cells.
DD. Lewis, M. Chavez, K. Chiu, C. Tan
ACS Synthetic Biology, 2017 pdf
- CRISPR-Cas expands dynamic range of gene expression from T7RNAP promoters.
SR. McCutcheon, KL. Chiu, DD. Lewis, and C. Tan
Biotechnology Journal, 2017 pdf
- Synthetic microbial consortia enable rapid assembly of multi-protein complexes.
F. Villarreal, M. Chavez, Y. Ding, J. Fan, T. Pan, and C. Tan
Nature Chemical Biology, 2017 pdf
- Voices: What Is the Role of Circuit Design in the Advancement of Synthetic Biology? Part 3. – Beyond ‘Electronic’ Circuits
Cell Systems, invited contribution, 2017 pdf
- Multi-dimensional Studies of Synthetic Genetic Promoters Enabled by Microfluidic Impact Printing.
J Fan, F Villarreal, B Weyers, Y Ding, K Tseng, J Li, B Li*, C. Tan*, and T Pan* (*co-corresponding authors)
Lab on a chip, 2017 pdf
- Editorial: Special collection of synthetic biology, aiming for quantitative control of cellular systems.
Quantitative Biology, 2017 pdf
The special issue
- Cell-free systems in the new age of synthetic biology.
F. Villarreal, C. Tan
Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering, 2016, pdf
- Reproducibility of high-throughput plate-reader experiments in synthetic biology.
M. Chavez, J. Ho, C. Tan
ACS Synthetic Biology, 2016, pdf
- Network motifs modulate druggability of cellular targets.
F. Wu, C. Ma, and C. Tan
Scientific Reports, 2016, pdf
- Dynamic Biomaterials: Toward Engineering Autonomous Feedback.
E. Morris, M. Chavez, and C. Tan
Current Opinion in Biotechnology, invited paper, 2016, pdf
- Cellular force signal integration through vector logic gates.
R. Steward, C. Tan, C-M Cheng, and P. LeDuc
Journal of Biomechanics, 2015, pdf
- Synthetic biology: a bridge between artificial and natural cells.
Y. Ding, F. Wu, C. Tan.
Life, invited paper,2014 pdf
- Synthetic biology outside the cell: linking computational tools to cell-free systems.
DD. Lewis*, F. Villarreal*, F. Wu, C. Tan.
Frontier Bioeng. Biotechnol , invited paper, 2014 pdf
- Phenotypic signatures arising from unbalanced bacterial growth.
C. Tan, R. Smith, M-C. Tsai, R. Schwartz, and L. You.
PLoS Comp Bio, 2014, pdf
- The engineering of artificial cellular nanosystems using synthetic biology approaches.
F. Wu, C. Tan.
WIREs Nanomedicine & Nanobiotechnology, invited paper, 2014, pdf
- Allee effect resolves the dispersion paradox of invasive species.
R. Smith, C. Tan, K. Riccione, A. Pai, H. Song, and L. You.
PNAS, 2014, pdf
Selected for F1000Prime link
See press release by UC Davis.
Highlighted in Cell Systems.
Highlighted as cover image
Press release by UC Davis
Highlighted in the back cover of Lab on a chip.
2013 and earlier
- Shaping gene expression in artificial cellular systems by cell-inspired molecular crowding.
C. Tan, S. Saurabh, M. Bruchez, R. Schwartz, and P. LeDuc.
Nature Nanotechnology, 2013, pdf
Highlighted in News&View, Artificial cells: Crowded genes perform differently, Nature Nanotech, 2013.
Highlighted in Learning how to make artificial cells, Nanowiki, 2013.
Highlighted in Top Stories: Artificial cells show why crowding is key, Futurity, 2013.
- The inoculum effect and band-pass bacterial response to periodic antibiotic treatment.
C. Tan*, R. Smith*, J. Srimani, K. Riccione, S. Prasada, M. Kuehn, and L. You. (*Equal contribution).
Molecular Systems Biology, 2012 pdf
Highlighted in “Editor Choice”: Microbiology – Hit ‘Em Quick, Hit ‘Em Strong, Science, 338, 6104, 2012. pdf
- Frontiers of optofluidics in synthetic biology
C. Tan, S. Lo, P. LeDuc, and CM. Cheng.
Lab on a Chip, 2012 pdf
- Fusion of giant unilamellar vesicles with planar hydrophobic surfaces: A fluorescence microscopy study.
G. H. Zan, C. Tan, M. Deserno, F. Lanni, and M. Losche.
Soft Matter, 2012. pdf
- Direct calculation of steady-state molecule number probability distributions in biochemical networks subject to intrinsic and extrinsic noise.
M. Hallen, B. Li, Y. Tanouchi, C. Tan, L. You.
PLoS Comp. Bio, 2011 pdf
- Origin of bistability underlying mammalian cell cycle entry.
G. Yao, C. Tan, M. West, J. R. Nevins, and L. You.
Molecular Systems Biology, 2011.pdf
- Programming microbial population dynamics by engineered cell-cell communication.
H. Song, S. Payne, C. Tan, and L. You.
Biotechnology Journal, 2011.pdf
- Emergent bistability by a growth-modulating positive feedback circuit.
C. Tan, P. Marguet, and L. You.
Nature Chemical Biology, 2009. pdf
Highlighted in “News and Views”: Slow growth leads to a switch, Nature Chemical Biology, 5, 784-785, 2009.
- Image segmentation and dynamic lineage analysis in single-cell fluorescent microscopy.
Q. Wang, J. Niemi, C. Tan , L. You and M. West.
Cytometry A, 2009.pdf
- Noise-limited frequency signal transmission in gene circuits.
C. Tan, F. Reza, and L. You.
Biophysical Journal, 2007. pdf
- A synthetic biology challenge: making cells compute.
C. Tan, H. Song, J. Niemi, and L. You.
Molecular BioSystems, 2007.pdf
Highlighted in Living computers (Perspective). H. Song, C. Tan, and L. You. Chemical Biology, 2007.
- Biology by design: reduction and synthesis of cellular components and behaviour.
P. Marguet, F. Balagadde, C. Tan, and L. You.
J. Royal Society Interface, 2007.pdf
- Hybrid simulations of stochastic reaction-diffusion processes for modeling intracellular signaling pathways.
K.-H. Chiam*, C. Tan*, V. Bhargava, and G. Rajagopal (*Equal contribution).
Physical Review E, 2006. pdf
- Grid Cellware: The first Grid-enabled tool for modeling and simulating cellular processes.
P. Dhar, C. Tan, S. Somani, Y. Li, K. Sakharkar, A. Krishnan, A. Ridwan, M. Chitre, and H. Zhu.
Bioinformatics, 2005. pdf
- Modeling and simulation of biological systems with stochasticity.
C. Tan, S. Somani, and P. Dhar.
In-Silico Biology, 2004.pdf
- Cellware: a multi-algorithmic software for computational systems biology.
P. Dhar, C. Tan, S. Somani, Y. Li, A. Sairam, M. Chitre , H. Zhu, and K. Sakharkar.
Discussed in “Tools for kinetic modeling of biochemical networks”, Nature Biotechnology, 2006.pdf